I have eaten pimento cheese my entire life (well as long as I can remember). It is always nice to have a tub of pimento cheese in the refrigerator. My go to weekday lunch often includes pimento cheese.
Believe it or not pimento cheese is simple to make. I like mine a little spicy so the recipe includes some jalapeño. If you don’t like spice, just leave it out! For me, there is only one rule with pimento cheese-you must freshly grate the cheese. Okay, maybe there are two rules. The second rule is to use Dukes mayonnaise. You can certainly make with another mayonnaise but Dukes really helps make it special. I used the light version but the original is even better. I just keep the light version in my refrigerator to help my waistline! Trust me, it makes a difference in the finished product. The freshly grated cheese really helps the mixture come together.
- ⅓ cup mayonaise
- 16 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 1 small jar pimento, drained
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5-6 dashes of tabasco (more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ cup diced pickled jalapeño (Optional-add if you want it spicy. Add to your taste-I like it spicy)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir together. Serve immediately with crackers, or cover, refrigerate, and let flavors marinate. If you want a creamier pimento cheese feel free to mix in a food processor.
Now that you have made your pimento cheese here are my favorite ways to eat pimento cheese—
>Pimento cheese on toasted rye bread. You have to trust me here. A pimento cheese sandwich on soft white bread is great but this takes it up a notch! Toast some rye bread, add some tomato slices and lettuce with your pimento cheese and you are set! Turn an ordinary sandwich into an extraordinary one!
>Quick and simple lunch-this is my goto lunch!
3-Ice cold grapes to nibble
It’s what I like to call an “appetizer lunch” but it’s one of my favorites.
>Super simple appetizer. That same quick and easy lunch makes a perfect appetizer that you can put together in a snap. Just put the same items (pimento cheese, crackers and grapes) on a pretty platter and you are set!